How-to: 3 New Year's Eve hairstyles you'll love
Gosh, hasn’t 2012 just flown by? Well you know what they say, time flies when you’re having fun – and we have had so much fun discovering new ways to make you feel amazing about yourself, we just had to give it one last go before the end of the year.
With New Year’s Eve just around the corner, we want to ensure that you continue to look and feel amazing, so we’ve gathered three hairstyles that we think will make you look like a million dollars on the biggest night of the year. All you need to do is decide which style you want to rock. Good luck with that.
SLINKY SIDE-BUN a la Kate Beckinsale
This yummy mummy never comes up short in the style stakes, and her hair happens to be one of her best assets. If you’re looking for an up-do that isn’t quite as severe as some of the more traditional styles, you’ll want to get in on a little side-bun action, pronto.
- To begin, part your hair to one side. For a more dramatic look make the parting quite deep to one side.
- Next, use a curling tong (we love VS Sassoon Big Hair Soft Curls Styler) to add waves to the lengths of your hair. Start by sectioning a row of hair at the nape of your neck and tonging, and then section the rest of your hair into similar rows and curl those pieces until you reach the top of your head. On the side of your head that doesn’t have the side parting, leave out a large chunk of hair at the front to curl separately.
- To curl the front piece of hair, take the hair over the top of the tong towards the back of your head and then keep wrapping it around. You should be left with a spiral-like curl.
- To finish, secure your hair into a low, side ponytail and wrap the curled lengths loosely around the elastic into a bun formation. Secure the bun in place by winding a few Scunci Pin Twirls through the ends of your hair. These pins twirl straight into your hair and secure it in place!
FUN TEXTURED PONY a la Emma Roberts
Wanting to unleash your inner girly girl? This swishy textured pony is the perfect way to go about it, and you won’t believe how simple it is to achieve…
- Begin by washing your hair and applying a curl enhancing cream to the lengths of your hair while damp. We like De Lorenzo Elements Barrel Wave Curl Defining Lotion for its ability to provide smooth, manageable curls.
- While your hair is air drying, pull it tightly into a low ponytail at the nape of your neck and secure with an elastic until it dries. You should be left with straightish, smooth hair near your roots and soft curls through the lengths of your hair.
- Feel free to use a curling wand to create more defined curls throughout your lengths. Be sure to use different sized pieces of hair to keep the look interesting.
- Next, part your hair slightly to the side and using a hair dryer (like TIGIPRO Hair Dryer) and a barrel brush, blow dry your front fringe pieces forward until they curl in and cup your forehead nicely. Tuck them loosely behind your ear to finish.
SASSY SIDE WAVES a la Amy Adams
If you’re looking for a hairstyle that’s sure to stop traffic, you can’t go past the long and luscious wavy lengths that hang all seductively over one shoulder and reveal a sneak peek of your neck…
- To start, wash your hair with a curl defining shampoo and conditioner that will help your natural waves show through and make this style a whole lot easier. We love John Frieda FRIZZ-EASE® Dream Curls® Shampoo and Conditioner, because they work together to improve your own natural curl complex.
- If you have time, a great way to achieve this look without using heat is to separate your hair into two sections and plait your hair into two braids; one that goes straight down your back, and one that falls over your shoulder. Start braiding from about half way down your head. Sleep with them in and then take them out the next day to reveal gorgeous waves.
- To separate the waves, run your fingers through your lengths, or spritz all over with hairspray and then run a comb through.
- To ensure your front pieces blend in with your waves, be sure to twist them back into each braid so that they fall softly into place when taken out.
Which style would you most likely rock to see in the New Year?
Have you tried any of the products mentioned above?
Review them now to earn points that you can swap for free beauty products in RewardsRoom.